Typography is the visual element of the written words.
It is the typeface, point size, letter spacing, line height, color selection, etc, that makes the whole design visually appealing and effective. Typography makes the words talk loud and clear.
1. Typography is the most important aspect of graphic designing:
Typography is the most important attribute of graphic designing. Choosing a font is like choosing an outfit to wear. People make assumptions about your status from your dressing sense and it’s similar in case of websites. The style, arrangement and, appearance of the words on your web pages play a crucial role in building the reputation of your website. The typeface needs to be aligned with the purpose of the page. Most of the sites contain content along with graphics. Graphics help a lot in expressing an idea and when backed by a well-designed set of words, clarity of thoughts increases substantially. To sum up we can say that typography is the way of making your words legible, readable, and appealing.
2. Types of typeface or fonts
(a) Serif – Serif font is the font that has small lines at the end of a stroke in a letter. Here is the example of a serif font.
Some serif fonts are:
· Agency FB
· Roboto Slab
· Droid Serif
· Playfair Display
(b) Sans-serif – Sans-serif font doesn’t have small lines at the end of a stroke in a letter. Example of the sans-serif font is:
Some sans-serif fonts are:
· Open Sans
c. Handwriting – Handwritten fonts are cursive fonts and are often based on free-form illustrations.
Some handwriting fonts are:
· Great Vibes
· Bad Script
3. How to choose a typeface for any project:
Before starting a design, you should understand the purpose and characteristics of the project. Once you develop clarity on that, start to brainstorm on the sections where you want the user to focus with glued eyes and thereafter you start checking the typefaces. Every typeface has its own mood, it can be serious, elegant, cheerful, casual, etc. A well-thought typeface selection can lead to the users being highly engaged with the website site content, which may translate into the desired business results.
Wrong typeface selection:
Right typeface selection:
A designer can use pangram to preview a typeface. Pangram contains every letter of the alphabet. Some of the pangrams available for this purpose are as follows:
1. Waltz, bad nymph, for quick jigs, vex. (28 letters)
2. Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim. (29 letters)
3. Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow. (29 letters)
4. Two driven jocks help fax my big quiz. (30 letters)
5. Five quacking zephyrs jolt my wax bed. (31 letters)
6. The five boxing wizards jump quickly. (31 letters)
7. Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs. (32 letters)
8. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (35 letters)
9. Jinxed wizards pluck ivy from the big quilt. (36 letters)
10. Crazy Fredrick bought many very exquisite opal jewels. (46 letters)
11. We promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize. (50 letters)
12. A mad boxer shot a quick, gloved jab to the jaw of his dizzy opponent. (54 letters)
13. Jaded zombies acted quaintly but kept driving their oxen forward. (55 letters)
14. The job requires extra pluck and zeal from every young wage earner. (55 letters)
4. Use of Multiple Typefaces:
A number of user-friendly and creative options of typefaces are available. A designer may use the combination of two or more fonts according to the design requirements.
Typography is capable of influencing users to visit the website and engage them on the website. Every designer should focus on the perfect selection of typography as it is a powerful tool for every website. As perfectly said by famous type designer Matthew Carter, “Type is a beautiful group of letters, not a group of beautiful letters.”
Found the article useful? Share it with your friends and co-workers… Now!